Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Junky Family Journal

Have you heard about junk journals? It's not really a mini album or a art journal but rather odds and endd or possibly leaning toward a specific topic..- I'd like to show you my take on the junk journal..
The topic of my journal would be about my family and growing up...

First order of business was to stop at Dollar Tree and get a notebook...don't get a spiral notebook if you decide to make one of these..


It doesn't matter what the cover looks like, because it's now been altered (covered up)...


The first step was to prepare the cover..
I've painted it blue and the binding is a cream color..but you could cover it with scrapbook paper or whatever you'd  like to use.
(Cover is not done, I wanted to get started on the inside so this is how it'll be for now!)


Second step was to prepare the pages.
I inked the edges of each page, and then rolled up and crinkled each page before adding more distrezzing to each page...
remember this is a junk journal, it's suppose to be fun..anything goes..



  Third step is to secure the pages so they don't fall out..
open the notebook up in the middle and take some ribbon and tie it at the top very tightly..
then add more ribbon about every 15 pages or so..the more ribbon you use - the better the end result will be..


Once the notebook has been prepared it's time to find things to put inside...

I've been saving all those cute printables and printed them out on regular copy paper..
most sizes are 4 X 6.


I pulled out some family pictures my Mom had put together for me many years ago...


and scanned them and printed them in black and white on regular copy paper..
I didn't want to use the orginals, nor did I want to spend a lot of money..


I pulled out different things that I had on hand to add to the journal..
Because the notebook is 60 pages or more..it's not done yet..
and it'll probably take me all year to fill it in..
but I wanted to show you some of the pages


The first page is a picture of my twin sister, Tracy, who passed away 10 years ago..
I can't say that we were close, she made decisions that compromised my trust in her.
Even though we we're close, I miss her every day..

My brother, Jim...not sure how old he is but I love this picture..
the other picture is kind of hard to see but it's my Mom on her birthday and the grandkids all making sure she could open her presents...


Hope I'm not boring you, I found this picture of my Dad..I had never seen this one before..
he must've been in his 30's with the family dog..he loved dogs and we always had a least two..

And as you can see, the notebook that began being flat is getting very full..
I love it and will keep adding things to it each week..
I hope I've inspired you to try making one of these journals...
I 've got a surprise for later this week so I hope you check back..
oh and we're remodeling our bathroom this week too!

I'm linking to these parties..
Metamorphis Monday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Get Your Craft On
and I'd sure love if you linked up at my party going on here...

Have a great week!

16 comments:

Sunny Simple Life said...

I love this journal idea cause it is something the kids could do too without worry and with loads of creativity.

Legacy of Love said...

Really cool idea. Love how the pages look so soft when the book is standing up. Thanks for sharing

Brooke said...

So cute! I have always loved the looks of these. Here is my question....are the original pages of the journal torn out? It would make sense that they are but just thought I would clarify! Great job!

Designed by Chance said...

Love this idea. It is a no hassle scrap book. very nice.

Tina said...

what a neat idea...thanks for sharing - I can see lots of possibilities for a junk journal.

I found you via link party at craft-o-maniac...

tina
prettypaperposies.blogspot.com

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Very cool idea. :) Following you from MMM. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link up party going on over on my blog right now. The most viewed link will win a set of fancy rectangle chalkboard labels. This week I’m co-hosting with Reasons to Skip the Housework…so links will show up on both blogs! How fun!

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

CraftyCupcake13 said...

What a cute journal!! Great job! I'm visiting from Embellishing Life, I saw your link up there! Thanks for sharing!!You can find me here:
http://onestopbabygifts.blogspot.com

I'm your newest follower ;)

Cheers!
Lilli

AsylumTanya said...

What a sweet idea! Thanks for sharing!

Lovely Light said...

Hi there- found you through the Masterpiece Monday hop and am a new follower. This is so sweet! I have wanted to get back to scrapbooking- I just a some pictures developed. I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Have a great week!

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea! It's pretty much just a MUCH cheaper version of a scrapbook. I love it! I think this would be a great gift idea. It's full of thought but you don't have to worry about a 20 dollar scrapbook. I think I'll have to attempt this! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower :)
-Maggie
http://chicaesartistica.blogspot.com/

Ruth said...

Love it. So gorgeous.

Ruth

abeachcottage said...

This is really cute and a great idea for the kiddos too. Thanks for sharing it at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Ava said...

What a lovely personal way to personalize your special photos xx Ava

Lauren {Land of Douglas} said...

Clicked over from TipJunkie...love, love, love the look of this book. My mind is realing with all the possible uses/gifts, etc. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren
landofdouglas.blogspot.com

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Altered books are so fun. I'm starting an 80s childhood one soon...

:0

Thanks for sharing at Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this evening!

raising4princesses said...

you did an amazing job. I love seeing projects from the Dollar Store. I wish we had one close. Great craft. http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails